5 simple tips to help declutter your home
This is something most of us need help with—it’s a challenge to actually make time for these kinds of projects because life is always getting in the way. Let’s be honest, there are always more fun things to do than organize your home, but with these simple tips to start you off, you’ll be on your way to a clutter free home in no time!
- First things first, make a rule to immediately stop bringing things into your home or space. While this might not actually be removing clutter, this will help to reduce the new clutter, which will alleviate the problem when you finally do get the chance to start sorting through your things.
- If number one is a bit too severe for you, try the rule of one in and two out. This means that if you bring one new object into your home, you must get rid of two others. For example, you bought a new shirt to wear to work. When you go to hang that shirt in your closet, remove two old pieces of clothing you haven’t worn in the last year.
- Since we’re on the subject of old clothing, we suggest you go by the rule that if you haven’t worn it in the last year, you’ll probably never wear it again. It’s time for that sweater, pair of jeans or old jacket to go!
- If you’re unsure about whether or not you’ll need something you suspect you haven’t worn in the last year, create a box of those things and store it for one year. Mark the box with the date you’re sealing it up. Chances are that you won’t even need to open the box throughout the year, which means that all the contents of the box can go
- Donate! I find that if you donate your gently used clothing and items from around the house, you feel a lot less guilty over getting rid of things. Feel free to schedule a free donation pickup at www.GoodDonor.org!